About the Camps
In 1954, the H. E. Butt Foundation acquired 1,900 acres north of Leakey, Texas, to fulfill a long-cherished dream of Howard Butt, Sr., to provide a place where boys and girls, men and women could further their knowledge of God and his creation while enjoying the freedom of camp life that had so appealed to him during his youth. Mary Holdsworth Butt joined her husband in this dream. Along with subsequent generations of the Butt family, they progressively developed retreat facilities along the beautiful Frio River.
Over 20,000 people each year share the reality of this dream come true in a setting along the headwaters of the Frio River in the Texas Hill Country. Continuously flowing springs feed the river and waterfront areas with cool, crystal-clear water surrounded by rugged rock formations and bluffs—all evidences of God’s amazing handiwork. Countless lives have been changed by the power of God evidenced in this place through the vision and faithfulness of the H. E. Butt family.